10th Anniversary Edition: Re-mastered and Re-cut.
Bubbling up from the snow-blanketed land of 10,000 lakes, the Minneapolis Sound defied expectations, emerging late in the ’70s as a slick, black, technologically advanced fusion, poised to storm the charts. In relative silence, the Twin Cities had been harboring a tight-knit community feverishly at work in radically manipulating American dance music, varnishing futurist funk with guitar rock’s glamorous sheen.
Purple Snow, the Numero Group’s ambitious 50th mainline release, chronicles false starts and follow-throughs toward Minneapolis Sound, on four LPs or two CDs and 32 rare and unreleased recordings from the years just prior to, and just after, one gifted Nelson was crowned Prince. At some 30,000 words, our 144-page hardbound book meticulously directs the listener through two hours of music, and a decade dotted by adept producers, combos, and characters—like 94 East, Flyte Tyme, and Alexander O’Neal, whose less celebrated groundwork put Minneapolis’ purple launchpad on the map. From Jimmy Jam’s extroverted Mind & Matter collective to André Cymone’s polish-free bedroom demos, Purple Snow gathers as the sprawling, nonfiction prequel to Purple Rain’s cultural takeover. In image-rich splendor, funk-informed hordes of unsung Twin Cities talent bask for a spotlit moment, out of that persistent violet shadow, to shine.
Bonus: 20% off when grabbing 3 or more Minneapolis Records - discount applied in cart automatically.
Currently In-Stock Minneapolis Records:
4xLP + Book4 150g LPs
4 tip-on single LP jackets
1 108-page 12.5
- 94 East If You See Me
- Aura Taste of Love
- Herman Jones I Love You
- Orville Shannon Oh Lover
- Mind & Matter I'm Under Your Spell
- Haze Waiting for the Moment
- Prophets Of Peace Get It On
- Cohesion Expense
- Mind & Matter Sunshine Lady
- The Lewis Connection Higher
- Flyte Tyme It's The Things That You Do
- Herman Jones Ladie
- Michael Dixon & J.O.Y. You're All I Need
- Music, Love & Funk Stone Lover
- Cohesion Cohesion
- Haze I Do Love My Lady
- The Lewis Connection Got to Be Something Here
- Walter Lewis & The Blue Stars I Have Love at Home
- Flyte Tyme I've Got You On My Mind
- Quiet Storm Can You Deal With It
- Steven Quick
- The Stylle Band If You Love Me
- The Girls I've Got My Eyes On You
- Sue Ann Carwell Should I Or Should I Not?
- Ronnie Robbins Contagious
- Alexander O'Neal Borrowed Time
- Orville Shannon One Life to Live
- André Cymone Somebody Said
- Walter Lewis & The Blue Stars Do It Baby Do It
- Rockie Robbins Together
- Mind & Matter No One Else Can Do It To Me Baby
- Alexander O'Neal Do You Dare